Over the years, I've told colleagues and friends about things I have seen or experienced. Many times, people have said that I should write them down so that they won't be lost and forgotten, since some of them might be useful parts of our history. I've been writing them down, without being sure what I would do with them. I decided to gradually post them on this website, and see what reactions I get. I suggest reading from the bottom up (starting with the August 2017 post "The Meritocracy"). Thoughtful and kind feedback would be useful for me, and would help me to revise the exposition to make it as useful as possible. I hope that while you read my stories you will ask yourself "What can I learn from this?" I'm particularly interested in knowing what you see as the point of the story, or what you take away from it. Please send feedback to asilverb@gmail.com. Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully reflect on them!

I often run the stories past the people I mention, even when they are anonymized, to get their feedback and give them a chance to correct the record or ask for changes. When they tell me they're happy to be named, I sometimes do so. When I give letters as pseudonyms, there is no correlation between those letters and the names of the real people.

Friday, January 14, 2022

UCI-Speak

No foreign country has felt more foreign to me than has southern California. The university feels a little less strange than the rest of Orange County, but I still feel as if I'm learning a foreign language.

"I'll need to ask the MSO about this," said one staff member.

"Sure," I replied, "What's an MSO?" She stared at me as if I were an alien from another planet. It was as if I had said, "What's a cow?" Everyone was supposed to know this.

"What does it stand for?" I asked. Another blank stare. This stare meant something different. It meant that she had no idea. (It's hard to find anyone at UCI who knows what MSO stands for.)

"Everyone knows what an MSO is. It's what [the name of another staff member] is," she retorted.

I apologized for not knowing the term. I told her that I had been a professor for 20 years at a different large state university, but had never heard that expression.

I eventually figured out that MSO is the title that the University of California bestows upon department managers. Spoiler Alert: It stands for "Management Services Officer". When I finally learned the lingo, the title changed to CAO, for "Chief Administrative Officer".

When I had a financial question, I was told to "see your analyst". The first time I heard that, it sounded rather rude. If a New Yorker said it, I'd think they were telling me to see a psychiatrist. At UCI, the people who deal with the finances are called analysts. The Faculty Senate committees also have analysts, but they're something like Administrative Assistants.

More obscure is when we refer to someone as an "LPSOE". When the confused listener asks "What's that?" we reply, "Lecturer with Potential Security of Employment". They feel slightly more enlightened, but not much.

A staff member sent an email message to the department soon after I got here "reminding" us of something. I went to the office and pointed out that there must be a mailing list I'm not on but I'm supposed to be on, since I hadn't gotten any earlier messages about the thing we were reminded of. The staff member said, "No, you're on all the right mailing lists. This was the first message about it."

I've since learned that at UCI "reminder" often means "this is something I'm telling you for the first time." Someone conjectured that it really means "this is something I should have told you sooner!"

Every so often, when someone gets annoyed with me for not knowing something unique to UCI or the University of California that they tell me everyone knows, I apologize for my ignorance and ask, "How should I have learned this sooner?" They stop and think about it, and finally admit, "I guess there's no way you would have known this."

If you recognize the title of this piece as a pun on "You See, I Speak", you're on your way to becoming fluent in UCI-Speak.