Over the years, I've told colleagues and friends about things I have seen or experienced. Many times, people have said that I should write them down so that they won't be lost and forgotten, since some of them might be useful parts of our history. I've been writing them down, without being sure what I would do with them. I decided to gradually post them on this website, and see what reactions I get. I suggest reading from the bottom up (starting with the August 2017 post "The Meritocracy"). Thoughtful and kind feedback would be useful for me, and would help me to revise the exposition to make it as useful as possible. I hope that while you read my stories you will ask yourself "What can I learn from this?" I'm particularly interested in knowing what you see as the point of the story, or what you take away from it. Please send feedback to asilverb@gmail.com. Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully reflect on them!

I often run the stories past the people I mention, even when they are anonymized, to get their feedback and give them a chance to correct the record or ask for changes. When they tell me they're happy to be named, I sometimes do so. When I give letters as pseudonyms, there is no correlation between those letters and the names of the real people.

Wednesday, December 22, 2021

"He reminds me of myself at that age" or: The Rules of the Game, Part 2

At a lunch with some undergrads in my freshman year, one of the most senior Harvard math professors told us that to get honors (summa cum laude, magna cum laude, or cum laude) in mathematics, a student had to submit an acceptable senior honors thesis. The department then decided whether to give you summa, magna, or cum laude based solely on how your grades fit into Harvard's formula for deciding honors; what level you got didn't depend on how good the thesis was.

The university had clear but peculiar rules about what grades you needed to get summa or magna. Strangely, you could qualify for summa without being good enough for magna, if your grade point average or lowest grade or whatever didn't rise to the right level.

It was nice that the rules of the game were clear. I tend to do well when I know the rules. I made sure that I was taking enough of the right courses, and getting high enough letter grades, to qualify for summa.

In my last year, I wrote what I knew was an "acceptable" senior thesis. I was taking hard courses that I wanted to learn, so doing well in them was a higher priority for me than writing a spectacular thesis. The word on the street was that the math faculty felt that there was plenty of time to do research in grad school and beyond, and it's more important for undergrads to learn as much as they could in advanced courses than to write a thesis. And the senior professor had told us that the reward for an acceptable thesis would be the same as for a great one.

A professor I'll call the Gryphon was in charge of farming out each senior thesis to a faculty member who would give the student an exam on the thesis. The Gryphon held onto mine since he was interested in the topic. I was very happy that he went to the trouble of preparing a written exam for me; the other students had oral exams.

The one faculty meeting that postdocs could attend was the one where the professors decided on honors for the graduating seniors. Although he was supposed to keep such deliberations confidential, one of the postdocs told me that the Gryphon reported that my thesis was good but not great; it's not of summa level so Alice shouldn't get summa. Luckily for me, the faculty who wanted to continue their tradition of basing the level of honors on Harvard's formula won out, and I was awarded summa.

I don't know why the postdoc decided to tell me this story. Though it stung at the time, I'm glad he did. Information can be useful.

Years later, when I was a visiting professor at Harvard, I went to a party given by some math grad students. Earlier that day, the postdocs had gone to the faculty meeting at which the professors decide on honors. 

At the party, a couple of postdocs told me their concerns about what they had observed at the meeting. Several female students were recommended for lower honors than male students who had lower grades. About those male students, the faculty said, "I think he's better than his grades" or "He reminds me of myself at that age." The Gryphon spoke against awarding summa to the best female student, saying something like, "She's very good, but she's not as good as Alice Silverberg, who really deserved summa when she got it." 

The postdocs believed that the male students were held to lower standards than were the female students, who were being held to a higher standard set by me.

I burst out laughing, and told them the story about the Gryphon arguing against giving me summa. I was glad I knew that story.