Over the years, I've told colleagues and friends about things I have seen or experienced. Many times, people have said that I should write them down so that they won't be lost and forgotten, since some of them might be useful parts of our history. I've been writing them down, without being sure what I would do with them. I decided to gradually post them on this website, and see what reactions I get. I suggest reading from the bottom up (starting with the August 2017 post "The Meritocracy"). Thoughtful and kind feedback would be useful for me, and would help me to revise the exposition to make it as useful as possible. I hope that while you read my stories you will ask yourself "What can I learn from this?" I'm particularly interested in knowing what you see as the point of the story, or what you take away from it. Please send feedback to asilverb@gmail.com. Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully reflect on them!

I often run the stories past the people I mention, even when they are anonymized, to get their feedback and give them a chance to correct the record or ask for changes. When they tell me they're happy to be named, I sometimes do so. When I give letters as pseudonyms, there is no correlation between those letters and the names of the real people.

Sunday, July 18, 2021

IQ Tests, Part 2: The Bus Driver

I got to know the friendly bus driver who drove the shuttle bus from the mathematics research institute down the hill to the UC Berkeley campus. I was often the only passenger on the last trip down the hill. Since I lived partway between the last stop and the bus depot, he would drop me off near home, even though he wasn't supposed to.

He was an undergrad who was moonlighting as a bus driver. He was enrolled in a large introductory psychology course, and he told me about some of the more interesting things he learned, including what he learned about the nature-nurture controversy.

He said that when the Stanford-Binet IQ tests were first created, the devisers created a test that they thought would measure intelligence. They tested their first drafts on various populations, and learned that females did better than males on several subtests. That didn't seem right to them, so they revised the test and retested it until they ended up with a test for which males did about as well as females, for all the subpopulations they tested.

Sometime later, while visiting Stanford University, I spent a day in the library tracking down original documents on the creation and evolution of the Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scales. There seems to be at least some truth in what the bus driver told me.

Whenever someone tells me that IQ tests prove that men are innately more intelligent than women in some group, I roll my eyes. I don't see how one can legitimately claim anything about gender differences using a test that was manipulated to be gender-neutral (not to mention that the tests don't measure innate ability and the results are influenced by education and experience).

Near the end of the semester, the bus driver told me that his professor said to the class, "I know that there's no data or research that proves that men are smarter than women. But ask yourself, `What does my gut tell me?' In your gut, you know that men are smarter than women. You should trust your gut."

"He said WHAT?" I exclaimed. I was furious that a Berkeley professor, who was supposed to be teaching critical thinking skills, would tell the students to ignore all the data and research they learned about in his class, and just trust their gut (in other words, rely on the prejudices they had learned growing up).

When I'm asked about gender differences on tests, I usually say, "When men do better, they declare that men are genetically superior. When women do better, they rewrite the test."